Wednesday 12 April 2017

Enquiry tools.

Whilst I wait for a response to my informal trial tool from other people on the BAPP course, I thought I would move on to 6b. I have looked over reader 6 and it has explained the different methods of collecting data for my enquiry.

I have looked into the pros and cons of each tool and listed the bullet points to help me decide which method would be most suitable for my enquiry.


Interview:

Pros-

  • Face to face (in person, Skype, telephone)
  • Monitor reactions.
  • On the spot questions so more likely to be genuine answers.
  • They can respond in more detail.
  • Allows me as the researcher to probe a response.
  • Can record with permission.
  • Can be structured questions or relaxed open interview. 


 Cons-
  • May think of responses afterwards.
  • Difficult to arrange.
  • Be more aware of self conduct.

Survey:

Pros-

  • Easy way to ask condensed information.
  • Gathering larger quantity of information. quicker.
  • Direct questions. 
  • They have time to think how they'd like to answer.
  • Black and white evidence.
  • Easily sent now using technology. 
  • Not as much pressure as face to face.
Cons-
  • Getting people to actually fill them out.
  • Are they honest answers hiding behind pen and paper. 
  • Ordering the data collection afterwards.


Documents:

Pros-
  • Solid evidence
  • Easily comparable.
Cons-

  • Gaining permission or access to important documents.
  • Need to consider data protection. 

Observation:

Pros-
  • Experience first hand.
  • Alows you to reflect and compare.

Cons-
  • Harder to arrange.
  • Time consuming.
  • Picking out relevant points could be harder to spot as it's not on paper.
  • Not actually speaking to anyone for an opinion.
  • Based on your own opinion/thoughts. 

After reflecting on each enquiry tool I feel that interviews and documents would be perfect for my line of enquiry. I have also considered observation and survey as they would both be relevant and easily done for my enquiry however this will become more clear once I start my enquiry plan. As reader 6 says, don't use too many enquiry tools due to work load so I will narrow this down.

I have a list of sources I would like to interview and a couple of documents which are also great evidence so I have a good starting point.








1 comment: